An amazing warm & nutritious meal for a cold February.
Ever since I was little, whenever I was sick, my dad would make soup & sandwich for me <3 I’m not sick, but with this extremely windy & stormy weather, he decided that the meal was fitting. I enjoyed it – of course!
I like to have a tuna sandwich and dip it in the chicken soup. This soup is made from a rotisserie chicken and you can easily use leftovers to make this recipe. This Chicken Soup for the Soul recipe is an adaptation of a recipe from Ambitious Kitchen.
- Ginger is great for digestion and is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.
- Garlic is full of anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Turmeric is best when consumed with black pepper to help for optimal absorption. This recipe calls for fresh turmeric (if you can find it).
- Chicken packs this recipe with protein.
- Fresh herbs like rosemary add additional flavor to this recipe. We used what we grew at home in our garden.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated turmeric (or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme, stems removed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large pot to medium-high heat and add oil. Once oil is hot, add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery; cook for a few minutes until onion becomes translucent.
- Next, add in grated ginger and grated turmeric. Sautee for 30 seconds to let the spices cook a bit, then add in chicken broth, chicken, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- If you find that you don’t have enough broth, feel free to add in another cup. Everyone likes their soup differently. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Enjoy.
To make vegetarian or vegan: Use vegetarian broth and sub 1 can of drained chickpeas for chicken.