Recipe: Buttermilk Fried Cauliflower
Follow along as I make this for the first time!
We had some cauliflower & buttermilk I wanted to use up from Natural Grocers, so I decided to make this dish I’ve been wanting to try for a while! I’ve had cauliflower wings, and this is sort of like that! This recipe is vegetarian – so it’s perfect for a Meatless Monday.
- 1 cauliflower, sliced
- Kalona buttermilk
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- TRUFF White Truffle Hot Sauce: Gourmet Hot Sauce with Ripe Chili Peppers, Organic Agave Nectar, White Truffle Oil and Coriander
I adapted this recipe from Charlotte Fashion Plate, who basically taught me how to make fried cauliflower!
- Wash and remove leaves from cauliflower.
- Cut away at the core.
- Cut the cauliflower into 1-inch steaks or pieces, depending on your preference. Smaller pieces will end up being more crunchy, but steaks will cook more evenly.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to fry.
- Create a dredging station with: 1) the buttermilk, and 2) the flour, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge: Coat the cauliflower in buttermilk, then in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess. Repeat the process if you want! I double battered about a quarter of this batch.
- Heat olive oil & drop cauliflower in. Allow to brown. Flip as needed.
- Remove the fried cauliflower and place on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
In order to cook the entire cauliflower head, it will probably take about 3-4 batches. As you’re frying the cauliflower, you can prepare the dipping sauce.
- Combine mayonnaise and hot sauce in a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust to your preference. You can also swap in sriracha or another hot sauce.