This Tofu Cakes recipe made with kamoboko is simple and delicious!
This recipe was adapted from Rina Leong‘s Okazuya-style Tofu “Crab” Cakes. Although she passed in 2005, my dad has a newspaper clipping of her recipe. Love Japanese food? Try making this chicken karaage.
Tofu Cakes Ingredients
Makes 8 patties.
- 1 14-ounce block of extra-firm tofu
- 1 5.5-ounce block of kamaboko (fish cake), grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 cups panko flakes (substitute: plain breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Press water out of tofu, smash into pieces, and put into a bowl.
- Add shredded kamoboko, onions, green onions, egg, oyster sauce, panko, and salt & pepper.
- Mix together.
- Form into patties.
- In a skillet, add half of the oil. Fry over medium heat, about 5-8 minutes on each side. Add remaining oil if needed after you flip the patties over.